Wednesday, November 25, 2015

This note was discovered near a ship, which refugees fleeing Syria had just disembarked, in Sicily, by photojournalist, Lynsey Addario. It roughly translates as:

“Rana, I wanted to be with you. Don’t forget me. I love you very much. My wish is for you not to forget me. Be well my love. A loves R. I love you.”

It serves as a reminder, particularly during a time when ignorance and prejudice against refugees is high, that refugees are no different than any of us - they have their own lives, relationships, goals, accomplishments and dreams. Self-preservation is the first law of nature and many refugees are willing to give up so much in an attempt to survive and flee violence in their own country.

This note was discovered near a ship, which refugees fleeing Syria had just disembarked, in Sicily, by photojournalist, Lynsey Addario. It roughly translates as:

“Rana, I wanted to be with you. Don’t forget me. I love you very much. My wish is for you not to forget me. Be well my love. A loves R. I love you.”
 
It serves as a reminder, particularly during a time when ignorance and prejudice against refugees is high, that refugees are no different than any of us - they have their own lives, relationships, goals, accomplishments and dreams. Self-preservation is the first law of nature and many refugees are willing to give up so much in an attempt to survive and flee violence in their own country.
Reblog - Posted 2 days ago with 646 notes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter