Friday, December 2, 2016

fantastic-nonsense:
“ cumaeansibyl:
“ sex-coffee-and-comicbooks:
“ shorelle:
“ clubjade:
“ “But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!”
“ “I get ribbed for that line because it was so whiny. And I remember at the time, I...
fantastic-nonsense:
cumaeansibyl:
sex-coffee-and-comicbooks:
shorelle:
clubjade:
“But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!”
“I get ribbed for that line because it was so whiny. And I remember at the time, I had to make it as juvenile as possible so that I can show how Luke matures later. So it should be embarrassing. It should be whiny and childish. But boy, has it come back to haunt me. I don’t think I ever got the chance to finally pick them up.” - Mark Hamill
#i’ve argued that since forever, #‘nah my favourite character is lu-’, #‘BUT POWER CONVERTERS’, #YES, #THAT’S PART OF WHY I LIKE HIM, #THAT WHINY LITTLE KID MARCHES INTO A CRIME LORD’S PALACE AND WRECKS EVERYTHING, #AND SAVES HIS FATHER’S SOUL, #WHAT HAVE YOU DONE LATELY (via anghraine)
I never thought about how meta Hamill got with his characterization.
Let the one who never, ever said something incredibly whiny as a teenager cast the first stone.
But yeah, Luke starts out as a bored and somewhat immature kid who dreams of adventure and feels that he’s being unfairly kept from the opportunity to achieve great things. One sympathizes; Tatooine really is a shithole planet, and it’s pretty obvious that Owen is making up excuses to keep Luke there as long as possible (which, as we later learn, is a decision informed by some very legitimate fears). And hell, even the power converter thing – what Luke really wants is to go hang out with his friends, which is probably the only thing to do in this place.
I think it’s easy to forget, though, that the first time Ben tells him he needs to come to Alderaan and learn to become a Jedi, Luke says no; the harvest is coming, and Uncle Owen needs him. The perfect opportunity knocks and Luke won’t take it because his sense of responsibility is still stronger than his discontent. Ben clearly disapproves, but I think it shows one of the most positive sides of Luke’s character. He feels gratitude and love for the people who raised him, and he chooses to honor that rather than indulge his own feelings.
His love for others informs so many of his choices throughout the trilogy: leaving training to save Han and Leia, going back to Tatooine to save Han again (who really could’ve stayed in carbonite for the duration, if you think about it), trying to save his father instead of killing him. And it starts way back in the first movie, when he’s pissed off at Owen and hates the moisture farm, but he still wants to stay because he feels it’s the right thing to do.
#god i fucken love it when this post comes round #luke skywalker is an honourable kind and thoughtful kid who #as much as he complained about the farm #would never ever EVER just leave if owen and beru needed him #i mean think of why he ACTUALLY left #like… he was gonna drop obi-wan off at anchorhead and only ended up going because HIS FAMILY WAS MURDERED #(again) #and there LITERALLY WAS NO REASON FOR HIM TO STAY #his friends were all gone #his family was dead #the farm had been destroyed #the only thing he had left were the droids and obi-wan so ofc he went with them #star wars #god almight i love luke skywalker with every fibre of my not-impressive being

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter